BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM BY INCLUDING THESE FAB 5 IN YOUR DIET!
By George Rundle, Oct 14 2015 10:29AM
We are well and truly in Autumn now so if you haven't already, it's time to start thinking about supporting your immune system. Include these 5 natural but oh so powerful foods in your daily diet and your body will thank you!
1) Fresh Garlic: Garlic is antibacterial, antifungal, antiparasitic, antiviral and is also a great antiseptic. Crush or chop into soups, stews, curries, stir fries, and if you are feeling brave, blend it raw into dips such as houmous. Easy to include everyday.
2) Ginger: Ginger has wonderful immune boosting properties. It works well as an anti-inflammatory and is also antibacterial and antiviral. As with garlic, use in soups, stews, stir fries but ginger tea is also very powerful, especially for soothing the stomach. Add it to your breakfast smoothie for a real flavour kick!
3) Turmeric: A vibrant coloured spice containing the active ingredient curcurmin which boasts fantastic antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Use in curries, soups, stews, smoothies and herbal teas.
4) Thyme: Provides excellent support for the respiratory system as well as having antifungal, antiseptic properties, a good all round antioxidant. If you feel a cold coming on, try a thyme, rosemary and sage tea.
5) Cinnamon: Another powerful anti-inflammatory with antimicrobial qualities. It also has the added benefit of regulating blood sugar levels so add to your breakfast smoothie or homemade granola, stir into porridge or use in energy bars for a yummy tang.
Other foods on your immune support shopping list include: onions, leeks, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries (or pick your own), coconut oil, cloves, oregano, black pepper, fermented foods e.g. sauerkraut, miso, kimchi.
You might also want to consider a good quality vitamin D3 supplement to keep you going through the dark months of autumn and winter when limited sunlight means we don't have the capacity to make our own. It's crucial for immune support and also bone health - a win, win!
Happy shopping and cooking!